The international arbitration group at Asserson Law Offices has a track record of success in resolving complex and high value disputes.
Our specialist team conducts cases under the rules of the major institutions and trade associations including LCIA, ICC, FINRA and UNCITRAL, as well as ad hoc cases. We leverage the benefits of this less formal method of dispute resolution to achieve inventive, quick and commercial solutions.
The arbitration group is led by globally recognised experts in the field, praised by the English Law Society for having “opened up English arbitration to Israeli business.” Baruch Baigel, who heads the group, is Israel’s only Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators and he sits as Israel’s delegate on the ICC’s Commission on Arbitration and ADR. He also acts as the English law adviser to JAC, the Israeli/Palestinian arbitration centre. Baruch is qualified to act as an arbitrator in international cases and sits on the panel of a number of global arbitral institutions. Elliot Lister is an experienced solicitor-advocate with wide expertise in complex arbitrations. He regularly acts as lead counsel. Trevor Asserson, the firm’s senior partner, also has significant arbitration experience.
We represent industry giants across the globe, covering a range of sectors including banking, real estate, manufacturing, hi-tech, oil and gas, alternative energy, sport, media, hospitality and leisure. Our team has acted for and against parties from the United States, the Middle East, Europe, the CIS, Latin America, the Indian sub-continent and New Zealand. Disputes from emerging markets now comprise a substantial part of our practice.
The arbitration group works closely with the litigation and transactional teams within the firm to provide a seamless client service. We advise on all aspects arising from arbitration cases, including applications for emergency relief as well as challenging and enforcing arbitral awards. We also advise on the drafting of arbitration agreements.
Testimonials:“You have done an amazing job….I wish to thank each one of you for the professionalism, dedication, intensive work during nights and weekends and mostly for the pleasant and humble attitude.” (A national household name agrichemical conglomerate)
“Baruch’s specialist arbitration knowledge gives his client in arbitration proceedings significant added value.” (a senior partner in major law firm)
“Baruch spearheads Asserson’s arbitration practice and has opened up English arbitration to Israeli business. He assisted ICC Israel to establish a unique arbitral institution designed to resolve commercial disputes between Israeli and Palestinian businesses.” (the Law Society of England and Wales)
Examples of recent matters include:
- Acting for a global agrochemical giant in an ad hoc arbitration concerning the collapse of a $37 million R&D programme.
- Acting for one of Israel’s largest retail and real estate groups in an LCIA arbitration against a Russian Bank.
- Acting for an Israeli investor in an ICC arbitration in relation to a shareholders’ dispute relating to an Eastern European conglomerate of automation companies.
- Acting in an LCIA arbitration regarding a major franchise dispute against a household name restaurant chain.
- Acting in an ICC arbitration for a hotel owner against a global hotel chain.
- Acting in an ICC arbitration for a major European real estate company against a major Austrian bank;
- Acting for the respondent in an ad hoc arbitration in relation to a complex trust dispute.
- Claim in the English Courts to challenge an arbitration award on grounds of serious irregularity and error of law.
- Obtaining a worldwide freezing order in support of a pending LCIA arbitration on behalf against two respondents, in the amount of US$23 million. Final award on behalf of our client in the sum of US$25 million.
- Acting in an ad hoc arbitration brought under the Israeli Arbitration Act in relation to a shareholders dispute regarding an African mining venture.
- Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) arbitration against a multi-national financial services corporation.
- Claim for recognition and enforcement of an arbitration award in the English Court.