Asserson Law Offices is an established market leader in the provision of dispute resolution services to international clients. Recognised as “an excellent niche firm … particularly adept at helping clients with really significant commercial or regulatory problems” (Legal 500).
Few boutique law firms can boast a dispute resolution team combining globally recognised leaders in the field and graduates of the world’s top universities with some 40% of fee earners, both partners and senior associates, singled out by the leading directories. Our clients benefit from hands-on strategic oversight of our partners, with day to day conduct run by a dedicated, efficient and highly skilled team of outstanding associates.
The team has a proven track record of success, advancing cases from start to finish, often within tight timescales. We harness the extensive powers of the UK Courts to find creative, and cost-effective solutions to fit the commercial needs of our clients. Our highly-qualified and experienced solicitors are regularly instructed in high profile matters in the High Court, the Court of Appeal and the Supreme Court. Six members of the team have higher rights of audience enabling them to argue in the High Court in the UK.
The department is led by Trevor Asserson, consistently ranked among the top litigators in the UK . With over 20 years’ experience gained in top-tier international law firms, Trevor’s strategic insight is unsurpassed. Trevor, a litigation “heavyweight” who is “always thinking about a case” (Chambers) makes himself readily available to clients and associates. Trevor “always finds unique and clever solutions” (Legal 500) and clients find that his invaluable analysis can take a case to the next level. Partner, Elliot Lister, a solicitor-advocate with specialist experience in emergency relief, insolvency and global enforcement is recommended by the Legal 500 as “intelligent”, “dedicated and creative”. Elliot is bi-lingual, English and Hebrew, and his international client base includes some of Israel’s largest companies.
We are regularly instructed to act on cross border disputes and our normal opponents are senior partners of the top City of London law firms. Our market positioning gives our clients the luxury of conflict-free representation against major banks and institutions where our agile and close-knit team gives us a significant competitive advantage.
We work closely with our clients in ‘pre dispute’ advice, often succeeding in reducing the tension and obtaining solutions which avoid the need to litigate. We also work closely with our corporate team to advise on the drafting of effective dispute resolution clauses and other potentially contentious elements of corporate transactions.
Our clients include sovereign states, international government agencies, multinational corporations, banks and high net worth individuals. We have particular expertise in banking law, complex financial instruments, telecoms, fraud, proceeds of crime, human rights/public law, judicial review, renewable energy professional negligence, international trust work and defamation.
Asserson Law Offices has developed a reputation for excellence on large pieces of commercial litigation. The team successfully defended the main defendants in the UK’s largest Madoff related litigation ranked in the top ten cases of the year. The team also defeated the UK Government in the largest ever SOCA civil recovery claim. Punitive indemnity costs orders were awarded in favour of our clients in each case. Asserson Law Offices has become the law firm of choice for the solar energy sector, leading major public law claims against the UK government, shortlisted in 2015 for “green law firm of the year”.
We actively provide pro-bono assistance to a wide variety of not-for-profit organisations.
Highlights of the firm’s recent litigation experience:
- Acting in $60 million claim brought by the liquidators of Bernard Madoff.
- Acting in a major fraud and breach of fiduciary duty claim in relation to a £13 million development project in central London.
Proceeds of Crime:
- Advising the defendants in the largest ever civil recovery claim against the National Crime Agency. Proceedings included jurisdictional challenges; two successful Supreme Court hearings and overturning an international freezing order covering assets worth many hundreds of millions.
- Acting for an offshore investment vehicle controlled by one of the largest banks in the Czech Republic in its professional negligence claim against a Belgian bank arising out of its mis-management and almost total loss of a $1billion investment fund in the Cayman Islands.
- Acting for a high net worth individual in a claim against a major private bank in London for breach of contract, negligence and banking regulations.
Energy and Renewables
- Expedited judicial review of the Government’s decision to retrospectively reduce solar energy feed-in tariff rates. The claim was progressed from the High Court to the Supreme Court within four months.
- Acting for 17 solar energy clients in a ground-breaking damages claims worth c.£170 million under the Human Rights Act against the Department for Energy and Climate Change. .
- Acting for a major international mining group in a shareholders dispute worth hundreds of millions of dollars regarding a gold mine in Kyrgyzstan.
- Defending investors in a global mining group in relation to the operation of a precious metal mining company in Sierra Leone in a claim in excess of $100 million.
Judicial Review, Public Law and Human Rights
- Ground-breaking judicial review supported by the Muslim Council of Britain, the Office of the Chief Rabbi and the Board of Deputies of British Jews against Senior Coroner for Inner North London.
- Advising personal assistant of a high-profile UK political figure in respect of contentious employment issues and a complaint to the Independent Parliamentary Supervisory Authority concerning breaches of the parliamentary expenses code of conduct.
Real Estate and Environment
- Acting for the landlord of major Brighton tourist attraction in the Technology and Construction Court.
- Acting for developer client against claim brought by global building-materials giant for alleged negligence in the disposal of hazardous waste from our client’s property.